• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Will a 1979 clutch basket fit my 1976 cb750

wbradshaw6

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a crack in my clutch basket and need to replace it, found a good looking '79 basket on ebay, can I use this in my 1976 cb750k?

Thank you! Anyone know where to find a clutch basket that will fit my bike besides ebay? I found a crack in my pressure plate and had it welded as a quick fix, but I want to replace the whole basket this winter. I have a big bore kit and am debating switching over to a performance clutch, and if I do I want everything to be as solid as possible.

New they are discontinued so unless you happen to find a dealer that happens to have one on a shelf your only bet will be ebay or a motorcylce junk yard. If the pressure plate was the only part bad there really is no point in replacing the basket. The basket is a very strong part in the 750. As far as the performance clutch I would be a worth while investment. Check out either Ape or Cycle X has a very good clutch kit. I am running it with synthetic oil in an 836 and it is very strong with no slipping.

I have the 836 big bore kit as well, which is why I am considering the upgraded clutch. I have read some in forums that it will make driving around town a pain in the @$$, stiffer clutch pull and what not, but if it fixes my slippage problem and makes it catch quicker then I would say that is a fair trade off

Stiffer clutch pull only comes from running stiffer springs. You can still upgrade to the better cycle x kit and run stock springs and have a stock clutch pull. Stiffer springs is additional insurance against slippage. The stock 750 has a really light clutch pull if the cable etc is in good shape and the stiffer springs dont make the clutch extremely stiff but it is stiffer than stock. I am running the cycle x clutch with stock springs in my 836 and have no issues.

Back