• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Install new gear shift cover

Indyjoel

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I had to remove and replace the gear shifter case as I had to drill most of the bolts out and managed to crack the case

I went to look for new stainless bolt but could not find the exact lengths as shown in the honda manual. For example I could only find a 35 mm instead of a 40mm and a 45mm instead of the 50mm.

Do you think the shortage of length could be a problem?

Also when I put a new cover on is there a gasket or special glue I need to put on the cover before I put it back on the bike?

Thanks in advance

Use a new gasket. In aluminum I always want the engaged thread length to be 1 1/2 times the diameter of the bolt being used. Shorter bolts mean less threads engaged in aluminum which increases the possibility of pulled threads. You can always get longer bolts and cut them to length.

Use a new gasket. In aluminum I always want the engaged thread length to be 1 1/2 times the diameter of the bolt being used. Shorter bolts mean less threads engaged in aluminum which increases the possibility of pulled threads. You can always get longer bolts and cut them to length.

Thanks good point. I will swap for longer and cut them

Back