• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Clutch spline washer

Brdeca

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm having some issues with my clutch. It's a '76 CB750f. My problem seems to be with the spline washer in the back of the clutch, it's fallen back into the groove behind where the splines end. I'm assuming there's supposed to be something in that groove to hold the washer forward onto the splines but I can't find anything about it anywhere. Any help would be awesome thanks.

Sorry for the confusion, what I figured out was that something was missing that was needed to hold the washer on the splines. Now what I'm trying to figure out is what it is. I'll try to get some pictures up later today

photo (1).jpg
photo.jpg
here's the pictures, seems like there should be something in that grove behind the splines, hopefully someone can tell me what I'm missing or if I'm just doing something wrong, thanks.

There should be a splined washer that fits on the splines and seat down against the clutch basket. No snap ring or anything like that.

I have the spline washer, but with nothing behind it it falls into that grove behind the splines, shouldn't there be something that fit in there to hold the washer on the splines?

The splined waher is supposed to slide down and fit in the groove, it is just a spacer. It is held in place when the inner clutch is tightened down with the big center nut.

Then I guess I don't know what my problem is. I thought it was because the back pressure plate was hitting the back of the clutch

The four springs are what pull the pressure plate and put tension on the clutch disks and pull it away from the clutch basket. The inner clutch hub is pulled tight up against the splined washer when the big nut is tightend. The only part of the clutch that actually moves in and out is the pressure plate that has the four long towers that the springs slide over and the 4 bolts bolt into. When you pull the clutch lever you are actually pushing that part back into the clutch basket. The spring tension you feel when you full the clutch lever is the 4 springs. Did the clutch work before you disassembled it?

No it didn't work, I disassembled it because it wouldn't disengage when I pulled in the lever and it feels like the pressure plate isn't moving at all, like it's pressed up against the back of the clutch or something

is one of the steel plates supposed to be a double plate? I'm thinking maybe that extra thickness is pushing the pressure plate too far back and it's hitting against the back of the clutch basket. could that be the problem?

Yes some did use a double plate. So the clutch lever does move when you pull it or is it solid? How many steel and how many fiber disks do you have?

That is the right number of plates and I have used the double steel without a problem. It is going to be hard to figure this out without being there in person. What I would do is start putting it back together and check along the way to see when the think locks up. If you have it all the way together except for the 4 springs and the outer plate with the ball bearing does the inner pressure plate(part with the four towers that the springs go on) move freely? The inner plate should have some movement without the spring tension on it. Only other thing if you want to take some pictures along the way of the assembly any maybe I can pick out a problem or an incorrect part or something. The 750 is pretty simple and I have swapped parts around and never ran into a lock up solid clutch. Seems maybe there is a wrong year part or something is out of order. If you want to take the time and take some photos I would be more than happy to see if I can figure something out.

I'll put up some pictures when I put it all together, here's a picture of the inner clutch hub with all the discs on, should there be more space for the pressure plate?

image.jpg

Mine have a little more space than yours but to me that looks like it should still work. Some clutch packs are different thicknesses depending on brand, etc. I wouldn't say that is or is not a problem yet, if nothing else appears to be wrong then we can look more into the clutch thickness.

Back