• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

no fuel to carb 4 on 79 cb750

mitch5069

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I've been struggling for a few weeks to get my cb750 up and running. Drove it around for a bit once I first got it running probably about 4 miles or so then my buddy rode it and it died on him. After pulling the plugs I found that cylinders 3 and 4 were starved for fuel. So I pulled the carbs apart and cleaned them again, didn't find much only small rust particles but not enough to completely block a jet. Got it running again drove it for another 5 miles or so all good. Decided to take it on the open road to cut it loose and see how much power it had and it started to die on me and it ended up getting a ride home in the back of a truck. Checked the plugs and look like cylinder 4 was starved for fuel again but cyl 3 looked good this time. I opened the set screws to make sure there was fuel in the bowls and cyl 4 only let out a few drops. Put the tank on and opened the fuel valve for a few minutes then checked the cly 4 bowl again and still a drop or two. So I pulled the bowl off expecting to see the float stuck shut but no it was open. I fiddled with it a bit but still no fuel only a drop or two every couple seconds.
My conclusion is that there is something clogging the main fuel line between carbs 3 and 4 and when running the bike the engine pulls more fuel from carb 4 than it fills. I am not sure what path I should clean or how. I don't want to blow what ever it is back farther so it clogs carb 3 and 4. Anyone with experience on 79 carbs that could give advice would be helpful. I have some spare time to day so I will probably be digging into it at some point.

cheers,

split the carbs and clean out the tubes between the carbs.

I assume I will have to re-sync the carbs then? Is there a "best method" do doing this to avoid syncing them. I am just looking to get it running to see if anything else is wrong with it for now. If I have to sync them then ill do it I just don't have a tool to do that yet.

As long as you don't adjust any of the screws on the linkages you shouldn't have to re-sync them. I split the carbs on My old Cbr900rr a few times with never an issue and also on a yamaha I just got running.

so I just take the screws off the rails and take the fin off the choke of the carb I am removing and it should just slide apart correct?

Back