• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New wire harness - a little help please?

bigring

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Long time listener, first time caller.
I'm a noob for certain and am going to need heaps of help. Just bought my first bike EVER. It's a '73 but has a '76 engine. I've been cleaning it up, taking off the Vetter Windjammer, cargo box, etc and found a beauty underneath. I don't know how I want to proceed with it - restore it to original, cafe, street tracker, whatever . . . I'm just having a blast learning at this point.

DSC05803.jpg
Photo was taken a little while ago. As you can see I'm having some electrical issues as the PO re-did a lot of the wiring to fit the windjammer on.

Anywho, I just replaced the wire harness on it. When I ordered it I "figured" that all the switches, etc must have been '73 as well as I "figured" that just the engine was replaced. So I ordered a 73-75 loom. Noob mistake #1. Had a few issues/hook up questions which I've been able to resolve and think that I have the answer for the last issue, but need some confirmation - like I said, I'm a noob here.

I found that I had one red plug with nothing to plug into - learned that for a '73 is the connector to the starting motor safety switch (5 wires). Mine has the two wire diode in it's place.

new red plug . . . nowhere to go. Small bracket behind it had two green (light green/red; dark green/red) wires plugged into a small male plug (last photo) which didn't connect into anything.

9560688964_ba28606e21.jpg

Red plug - five wires - only need two.

9560700166_cc6d3d6225.jpg

Diode - neutral starting switch needing those two wires.

I'm wondering if I cut away the three wires that I don't need to connect and safety them off and connect the other two (g/r & light g/r) from the new red plug to attach to the diode will it work, will I have issues? Been wreaking my eyes and brain pouring over wiring schematics to see if I have this right.

Thanks for reading and all and any help is appreciated!

Cheers

Attachments

• DSC05803.jpg
    DSC05803.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited by a moderator:
Back