• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

*New member, acquired a dry-stored 1978 Honda cb750k, got one cold exhaust...*

Stoney

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi there guys, I've just got my hands on a 1978 Honda CB750k, which seems extremely well looked after, has done 1200 miles since 2001, got next to no rust, starts very well, idles well, pulls well and it generally seems like I got a decent enough deal for 1 grand UK. I'm extremely happy to finally have my hands on one of these bikes.

I've just replaced the throttle cables and all spark plugs, unfortunately one pipe (third from left when facing the bike from front) is not getting as hot as the rest of them, after riding for a while it does seem to get hotter but nowhere near as hot as the others as I can still touch it. I've checked all plugs for spark already, they are all firing off good. There is not much of a smell of petrol on the plug so I'm guessing its a fuel delivery problem, I'm really just after some good advice for carb strip-down/clean and anything else I should be checking on a bike that has been stood for almost 5 years. I'm hoping I'm not going to have to start messing with valves.

The other thing I've noticed is that the clutch kinda makes a low rumble/rattle when engaged that disappears when pulled in, I'm told that this is not uncommon and that I should look at maybe new clutch plates/basket? Any info on this would be great.

All information/advice on these topics and anything else a newbie should know is greatly appreciated, I'm hoping to get the thing running absolutely sweet and then start hunting down some original indicators/seat/clocks/badges and stuff.

Thanks in advance

:cheers:

Welcome to the site! Let's see some pictures! It sounds like you're going to have to do some carb cleaning. I'd sort that out then mess with the clutch after you've put on a few miles.

Back