• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Total Noob Needs Help - 1975 CB750K Carb Re-Installation

RayMartinez

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I removed the carbs from my 1975 CB750 to clean them up as I am working on doing a deep clean and old parts replacement on that puppy. I don't know much about working on bikes, this is my first project and I am stuck. I have the Clymer manual but it is pretty much useless when it comes to this I've found. Does anyone know of a step by step guide to re-installing carbs on a CB750K? Something with big pictures...

Any help is appreciated!
Ray

Not a step-by-step guide and no pictures, sorry. However, when I have carbs not wanting to be put back on the engine I use a couple of woodworking clamps I have to help persuade them. They're deep enough that I can reach around the head and clamp from the rear of the carbs to just above or beside the exhaust connection. These are clamps that have wooden handles that tune my hand, not heavy duty furniture clamps that I just crank down hard. I've also put a 1x4 across the rear of the carbs to keep the clamps off the carbs themselves... you need 3 hands, but it can work for you.

I put a set on just last week. First I removed the airbox to get some room to work. I sprayed the insides of the rubber insulators with WD40. I then aligned the carbs with the insulators starting at the bottoms of carbs, and wiggled and pushed until they went into the insulators. I didn't need clamps for that set, maybe because I had just boiled the insulators in wintergreen oil and they were relatively pliable.

I've heard that some guys use a ratchet strap to help pull the carbs into the insulators.

Sometimes the insulators are just too hard and are an obstacle that needs to be overcome. Heating them with a hair dryer (or better yet a heat gun) can help things some. Boiling them in water can help, but for better results try mixing a couple of ounces of wintergreen oil in a gallon or so of water and boiling them for 45-60 minutes. A mixture of wintergreen oil and toluene is also supposed to be a good way to soften them up, but I've never tried that. I think it's 40"wintergreen and 60% toluene and no heat needed, but I'm not sure of the mixture.

In a nutshell, it takes a pretty good push, good alignment, and patience, regardless of how you go about reinstalling the carbs... at least in my world that's been the case.

Back