• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Clutch pack adjustment

Whats_up_DOHC

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, I got this little problem here : I want to adjust the clutch pack on my 1980 cb750 (there's too much freeplay on the gearshift selector) but I have to get pass this damn bolt here. I'm not a pro mechanic if you know what I mean, I'm just getting started (its my first bike actually).

Is there a special tool or something that is made to unscrew it?

Here's a little picture for you.

Thanks for the help !!

Attachments

• IMG-20130823-00741.jpg
    IMG-20130823-00741.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 387
Try using the handle of the spanner.

If you have the stock tool kit, the end of the wrench that fits the nuts on the axles is a giant curved end screwdriver. If you don't have it then don't try using a big flat head screwdriver, you'll chew up the cap.

You can make the tool out of some 1" x 3/16" metal stock. A 6" long peice of stainless works great. Grind the end of it until you get the best fit you can (note it will be curved on the end, not flat, and slightly tapered on both sides) and then you can use a crescent to turn that.

eureka

I looked 3 days for info on this....it's the lifter cover "cap" which is a mystery to all search engines apparently-the service manual says take it off to adjust the clutch, but does not say how....I used the lock bar from my rollaway tool box....worked great with cresent wrench applied....still may have to disassemble clutch as it is way too tight.....I think...

Last edited:
I looked 3 days for info on this....it's the lifter cover "cap" which is a mystery to all search engines apparently-the service manual says take it off to adjust the clutch, but does not say how....I used the lock bar from my rollaway tool box....worked great with cresent wrench applied....still may have to disassemble clutch as it is way too tight.....I think...

Glad the info helped. Myself, I'm more of a fabricator/mechanic. There are several people on here that know quite a bit more about motorcycles. Keep coming back ;)

There is no tight or loose on a clutch, it must be first and foremost assembled right to be the correct stack thickness, then after that you run up any adjuster to where there is clearance when the lever is all the way out and enough movement to cleanly release the clutch with lever all the way in, and both conditions have to be able to happen with engine cold or hot.

When the stack is assembled right then with nothing pressing in on it at all it will lock up 100% with zero slipping. That means that the adjuster under that center screw will be slightly loose when set right, it must NOT touch the clutch pack at all until it is moved a slight bit by the cable.

Resurrecting this thread, I can't get this clutch cover cap off, I fabbed a piece of 3/16" steel to fit in the slot, but I still can't get the damn cap off... I've got some WD-40 sitting on it right now, hopefully it penetrates the threads a little, but I'm open to any other suggestions before I either grind the cap out or blow it off with det cord....

Have never had any trouble before.

I'd likely custom grind a flat impact chisel to fit in the groove and square the sides of the handle to put a wrench on.

You ARE turning counter-clockwise right?

Yep, turning counter clockwise. I have another identical bike (1980 CB750F) that I pulled the cap off with no problem, this one is just exceedingly stubborn. I've tried bumping with a brass dead-blow, WD-40, ATF/Acetone mix. I haven't tried heat yet, need to get another torch, but the idea with a chisel on an impact sounds good and I think I'll go with that next. I might just swap out the other clutch cover for this one and worry about the cap later, I just have to clean up, paint and bake the other clutch cover...

Update: Apparently I can get a complete clutch cover for $25 on ebay... totally worth it. I may post a video of the dramatic disposal of my current clutch cover later...

That cap design is similar to Honda valve checking plugs on SOHC and smaller like 350s. You can torque them up not tight at all yet they apparently in use get even tighter to be almost have to be blasted loose. I was always changing them on the smaller twins for that.

Yep, still can't get that cap out, and at this point I have probably jacked the lip up too much to get it our even if I free the threads... I have no idea how it's stuck in there so tight, almost like it's welded... I've probably put the equivalent of 75-80 ft/lbs of torque on it and shock it, the impact wrench with the chisel just went right over the lip... I haven't tried torching the cover to heat the threads yet, but I have an entire replacement cover on the way, so I'm just going to stop fiddling with it and clean up/paint a new one. I appreciate the help, though! This one was kinda weird.

Torch is not going to free up a part resisting 80 pounds of force............UNLESS some d-mn fool used permanent loctite on it. 600 degrees to melt it.

Back