• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Building the Cafe

s10hornet

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have finally gotten to the point that I can start the assembly process on my 76 CB750F café project.
Not much to look at right now but represents about 50 hrs of work. Took the frame down to bare metal
and treated it with Sharkhide. Cut off all the unnecessary tabs. replaced all the wheel bearings and will install the
steering head bearings next. Replaced the fork seals and springs. Laced new spokes on and had the wheels trued
and tires mounted. Rebuilt both brake calipers with new pistons, seals and pads.

Stripped the oil tank and will repaint. Bead blasted the battery box and it is ready to paint. After that its time to tackle
the wiring harness and get it cleaned up. Replacing the rectifier and regulator with a combo unit.

Lots of work yet to be done.
cb750.jpg

Made some progress on the café project. Front wheel and caliper are done and installed with new bearings. Just finished the tank. You can see the motor sitting on my workbench. Getting it cleaned up is next. Then it's on to the electrical.

cb750a.JPG cb750b.JPG cb750c.JPG

finally got the motor cleaned up and valves adjusted. time to get busy on the wiring.

cb750d.JPG

also refurbished the tank badges in black with raw metal letters.

Progress is slow. Life always seems to get in the way. Almost finished with the Handlebars, need to trim them about 3/4", blast and sand to get the right finish. Restored the headlight and oil tank. Modified the battery box to hold the 1.5 lb lithium ion battery and tuck in my electrics to accommodate my left side cover project (not yet started). Need to decide on mounting point for reg/rec combo unit. thinking about welding nuts to the front side of the battery holder. Anyway here's the latest look.

cb750e.JPG

Yeah it's looking good. As you probably know, progress always to seems to slow down once you have it back to looking like a motorcycle again. It's all the little stuff that takes the most time. Keep up the good work!

The cold winter, new grandchildren, and various other life stuff has kept me from my project lately.
Finally got back to it and finished my oil tank side cover project. Had to stop everything else since it
required welding a few tabs onto the frame. Anyway here are a couple of pics.

photo 1.JPG photo 3.JPG

And so the work continues, getting close to the finish line. Headers are on and the upholstery on the seat is done.
Still have to hook up the clutch and speedo cables, rejet and sync the carbs. Right now I'm working on a recess
in the seat pan to accept my led taillight/turn signal assembly.

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG

Most of the housing will be cut away once I cut an opening in the tail.

finally finished the tail section. Came out pretty good. Don't have a picture with the taillight assembly installed. But here are a few of the finished product.
all that's left to do is refinish the gas tank, install the clutch cable, rejet and sync the carbs. hopefully within the next two weeks I'll be riding.

tailight 9.JPG tailight 8.JPG tailight 10.JPG

Back