• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Pulled the gas tank

mwp309

Been Ridin' A While...
Reaction score
Got to my new to me 1980 CB750 Custom this afternoon. Been parked since 2007 so I wanted to drain the gas tank. Inside of tank looks really good! PO used zip ties instead of clamps to fasten the gas lines. I used my side cutters to clip the 4 nylon ties. I seperate the line from the inline filter and gas is pouring all over me and the engine. PO left the petcock in the ON position since 2007. Uh oh, I have a good 2 quarts of gas on me, the engine and the floor! Should have checked the petcock, but noooo, I was too eager to get started. :banghead: :banghead:
Pulled the tank off, dropped it on the concrete floor, scratched the top and chipped the black paint from the bottom edges. Spilled even more gas. :banghead: :banghead:
Under the tank I found a pair of yellow ACCEL coils. Hope that's a good indication that the PO kept the electrical system in good shape.
I pulled the petcock off as it was leaking a little after moving it around a bit. The rubber seal was shot, so I am thinking a 1/2 inch rubber o-ring should fix that. Tomorrow I will try to pull a carb bowl and see what I find. With the gas left on since 2007, I'm sure I got a mess on my hand.
Ok, off to check threads about carb cleaning!

Back