• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New to the forum, first bike

OGsmakdadE

newb
Reaction score
Hi everyone, My name is Daryl and I just purchased a 71 CB 750. This is my first bike and I plan on having it for a while. I'm going to be modifying her as soon as the first round of parts arrive. I guess I'll make a thread for that and keep track of the "build"

this is how I bought her
photo (5).jpgphoto (1).jpgphoto.jpg

Wow...that bike looks super clean...are you planning to remove all the cases an fairing and return it to stock? Please don't cafe it out..there are plenty of candidates out there for that, this bike looks way to nice to chop on.....

Definately looks like a good bike to put as close to original as possible as far as the looks are concerned. What is the number of the exhaust hm300 or hm 341?

I will be removing the front fairing, front crash guard, bags, seat, backrest, and luggage rack.
I'm not going to be chopping this bike up. I plan on making some modifications, but it will all be bolt on. Any original parts will be removed so they can be bolted back on with ease.

The tank and side covers are not original, they are from a 72. the PO took the original tank and covers to be painted and the painter disappeared with them. He bought what's currently on the bike from a honda dealership in 72.
I've already purchased another set of side covers to modify, and I'm currently looking for a 71 tank.

I'm pretty sure the numbers on the exhaust are 341.

the bike is in decent shape for what it is, and I'm happy with my purchase

thanks Ken,
there is a lot of stuff I've noticed about the bike after having it for a couple of weeks. I've been fixing things and buying parts. I guess that's to be expected with a 40+ yr/old bike. lol

have purchased quite a few parts lately.
have fixed almost all of the hacked wiring harness the proper way (soldering, heat shrink, factory pins)

still on the hunt for an affordable 69-71 gas tank. I wish mine had the original....... not a fan of the 72 tank.

covers and emblems.jpgheadlight installed.jpghandle bars.jpg

Attachments

• parts removed.jpg
    parts removed.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 117
  • new seat cover.jpg
    new seat cover.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
well I removed the old seat cover and foam from the stock seat pan. I discovered surface rust on the pan and that wasn't going to fly with me. I used rust treatment on both sides of the pan. you can see the top side here.
seat pan.jpg

the under side, that can be seen when the seat is up to access the battery and wiring, had to be painted black.
seat pan painted.jpg

the worst part is waiting for rust proofing, primer, and paint to dry. The pan is now ready for me to spray adhesive the seat foam in place. I might get on it today, possibly tomorrow.

here is what I'm installing on the refurbished pan.
new seat cover.jpg

fitted the foam to the pan
seat foam installed.jpg
stretched the new cover over the foam
cover finished 2.jpg
cover finished.jpg
painted under side of pan, latch, hinges, spring, affixed with new stainless bolts and washers
seat hardware installed.jpg
fitted to the bike
new seat installed 2.jpg
new seat installed.jpg

not much progress on the bike since the last post.

I was riding this 4th of july when I lost the front tire. Was able to keep the bike up and get pulled over, both of us unharmed.
I've purchased for the bike:
two new michelin pilot active tires
two new tubes
two new tube protectors
EBC front brake pads and rear shoes
a variety of tire changing tools.

pics to come!

It looks like there's a Prelude buried in that garage somewhere?

Seat looks very nice, x2 on where did you get the parts - and how do you like the café bars?

Scary to lose the front indeed, amazing you stayed up! How did it happen?

the prelude has been parked for the better part of 5 years. It has a full build 250whp NA motor and quite a bit of other work. I'm digging her out soon and getting started on her again. New motor, supercharged.

seat fabric and foam were purchased on ebay from vietnam I believe. I used the factory seat pan.
I haven't installed the bars yet, still trying to find the right controls/ throttle setup.

I believe I punctured the tire rounding a corner and it went flat about 100' past it. I am convinced that an underinflated tire was to blame. My fault, but I'm just glad we didn't eat pavement.

Back