• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Stator Troubles

TDub77

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey all, new to the forums and I'm having a bit of trouble with the alternator on my bike.
My bike is a 1980 CB 750.
The stator's yellow wires all test good, with ~.5 ohms between them all, none to ground. The issue is with the white/black wires. They show a wide range of Ohms between the two when on the bike, which from what I've read so far, is bad. However, the white/black wires test fine when the stator is off the bike. The wires start to show Ohms when the brushes start getting depressed. They also show Ohms if I press the brushes down with my fingers. I initially thought the rotor was bad, but the rotor tests good with I think ~.5 ohms between rings of copper. No wires show a short to ground.
Any ideas or other things to try?

I think read the rotor should show 4-4.5, much lower and the rotor is bad. I know if the stator goes it'll fry the reg/rectifier. I only found that out because of this forum, my mechanic didn't even mention that fact to me over the 5 yrs that I put a new regulator/rectifier in EVERY year!

I left it off the road because I didn't know that. I'm finally getting her running this year, can't wait.

Good luck.

Back