• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Getting a 79 cb 750 ss

K2750tracy

K2750tracy
Reaction score
Just made a good deal on a cb750 f decent condition 100% mechanical just some cosmetic issues, its showing its age 12600 original miles. Cant wait to get it home! My home computer is down so i have go use my iphone to post, have to play around and figure out how to post a pic from here!

Yeah pretty much going to keep it stock havent decided on paint yet. Its a pale metalic blue 10 year old backyard job, needs redone bad engine is starting to oxidize probably black it out. Hope to pick it up wed. Fri at the latest. Getting this bike will give me more time to get my k2 cafe into show condition. As i will use the 79 as my daily rider.

Yeah im excited to pick it up today i only have my mobile phone right now and it wont let me upload any pics so as soon as my home unit gets fixed i will post picks.

Got the super sport home last. Night. Every thing is good mechanicaly checked it over real well then took for a 10 mile ride no problems so far. Tank is spotless inside new tires looks like new brake pads front & rear. Small section of seat has the seem starting to split. Just needs some tlc. Would have rode it to work today but its raining, figures!

Cool! Great that it is running well for you. Too bad about the weather, its cold drizzle here today too. There will be plenty of good riding to come!

Rode to work this morning, bike runs well but if you take your hands away from the bars the front end starts shaking side to side violently, really dont notice when your on the bars. Going to check steering stem tightness and fork alignment. This bike has been down lightly on its right side. Still not complaining for a $450 investment.

Yeah the forks probably twisted a little in the trees. I've seen that a lot. You might as well take the front end off and install tapered roller bearings in the neck. That seems to help most bikes with the head shakes.

Sounds like you got a great deal on the bike!

Depending on the speed, tire balance and/or tire wear will contribute to front end shake. But definitely check the steering stem bearings and realign the fork.

Yeah i just checked out the front end forks are twisted in the trees just like you said Travis. Tapered bearings are in the plans too. Thanks for the input dirtdigger.

It was obvious and the bearings were loose also ,turned top nut 2 1/2 turns. I put straight edge from rear wheel up to front wheel and turned head untill handle bars and trees looked all aligned No more head shake and it tracks nice ,rear wheel was also not right. Checked the plugs nice and gray, running fairly well just a little hesatation at low end really comes alive over 5 grand. Will tear down carbs and clean next weekend.

Wow good thing you checked it out before riding it anymore. I've check for twisted forks by taping 4' levels to the forks (straight boards would work too), one at the top and one near the bottom and any twist is obvious when you look down over the bars. Sounds like your pilot jets are plugged up a little. How well it start and idle?

Stats ok with choke on full when cold, no choke needed when warm ides ok around 1800 to 2000 rpm below that the engine sounds like its missing and runs rough, kinda sounds like something loose inside a chugging sound. My 80 750 custom did the same thing.

Does any one know the procedure for adjusting the cam chain tensioner i dont have a manual for the dohc engine yet. Thanks Jamie

This should help. Not a great scan, but readable. They are shim and bucket so all you can do is check them. If they are out of spec, you need different shims. Good luck!

EDIT: just realized you said cam chain tensioner and not valves. That's on page two of the same pdf.

Attachments

• dohc_cb750_valve_clearances.pdf
    980.7 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Thanks Travis that will help a lot. Im just going thru everything i can think of to bring the maintance up to date on this bike. I plan on keeping it as the two up for the wife and i. Also makes a great commuter.

Back