• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

rough running fix-it job

bikeMN

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll,

I'm working on a 76 CB750 for a friend. It was running great a few years back and then he dropped it on a gravel road. He put it in a garage without doing anything to it and it sat there for 2 or 3 Minnesota winters.

I told him I would work on it in exchange for letting me take it out when I had friends in town. I got new plugs and a used but decent battery from a buddy. I took apart the carbs and soaked them over night in asatone, boiled them, blew them out, and put them back together and back on the bike.

Now, the bike starts with the choke on but dies if I don't quickly turn the choke off. It doesn't start without the choke even when it's warm. The rpms are high but it doesn't get full power when I try to get the bike moving.

I'm feeling pretty stumped and could use some help. My thoughts are:
The air filter might need to be changed, but when I take the filter out the bike doesn't run any differently.
There may be air getting in through the intake boots, they are hard to get fully on the carbs snugly (any advice on how to get them on better or diagnose would be helpful).
I'm trying to sink the carbs by ear, but, frankly, it doesn't seem like I'm even to that point yet, this problem is to extreme.

Thoughts?

Thanks in Advance!

Try a little petroleum jelly on the mating serface of carb and boot this should help seat the carbs. It does sound like the idle screws are not in sink with each other.

Back