• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Air Sound when starting?

AaronA1

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody! I've been doing a build for a couple months now, and finally got this thing together. I re-wired everything and everything tests correct. This motor has been sitting a couple years, so I'm not sure if that is the cause of this problem or what. I'm so lost...

...okay, so, when I'm kickstarting my bike, it has kind of an air type sound coming from around the engine....more towards the carb. It kind of sounds like a steam engine or something when it first starts. The bike will run for about 4-6 seconds and then die, unless I can keep it running for a minute. So I know it actually runs, but it just sounds a little differently when I'm trying to start it...like it's trying to pull air in or its pushing air out. I really have no idea how to explain it! I was just wondering if anybody has any idea what it is, and if it is affecting me starting my engine. If anybody has any idea of what I'm talking about, please let me know! I can't figure it out!

Thanks for any help!

1012401_10151564336442406_968803506_n.jpg

If you have pod filters you will hear the air being sucked in when the throttle is closed. Also check for vacuum leaks around the carb boots, etc.

mine did that too and the boot on #2 was not seated exactly right and let a little air make a sound it was rather distressing when I first heard it

Back