• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Newbie here, going to check out an '80 cb750k tomorrow.

nickajeglin

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey all, my name is Nick. I've been riding a vt750c all summer, and I'm looking to trade up. A store down the street from me has a 1980 cb750k out on the sidewalk, and I walked by to look it over, but the guy who was there said that I'd have to talk to the owner tomorrow.

The story is that an old friend had a stroke a while back blah blah blabh... been in a barn for 5 years, blah blah, put aircraft fuel in to store it, etc.

It does look really really clean from what I can tell, zero rust in the tank, Oil looks and smells pristine, but they could have changed it. No rust visible anywhere, not even on what appears to be aftermarket 4-2 exhaust, no exhaust leaks, no smoke on startup, zero rust on chain, or back sprocket, and back sprocket looks pretty nice from what I can tell.

I guess I'm looking for advice on what it's worth, and whether it would be worth buying, what else I should check out tomorrow, and what I'd need to look out for if I did buy it.

It's listed at 1800 cash or 2400 trade, and I'm planning on trying to trade him my vt, it's not in great shape, but it runs pretty well. I can't spend more than 1000$ says the wife, but if I can talk him down to less than that + the vt does this look worthwhile to you guys?

Well, I bought it. Drove it home, and it seemed to run well. A lot of valve noise compared to my vt, but I imagine that's probably normal since it's got the cams right up under the tank.

I was having trouble shifting, but I was wearing big steel toe boots, and I'm very much used to a nice loud clunk to let me know that I've shifted, the gears on this were very quiet. It looks like the carbs may be leaking a very small bit from what look like drain tubes on the bottom, but that's the only issue I can see right now. I'll pick up a clymer manual this week, and start working through fluid changes and tune up. Any advice on issues specific to this bike I should check on?

It's got a fugly aftermarket windjammer fairing, does anyone know offhand what part's I'll need to dredge up to change it back to stock? The bike is in such great shape I kind of just want to clean it up and replace parts with original, but I'm not sure what all was discarded when the fairing went on. I imagine turn signals, headlight, and mounting brackets for that stuff?

Anyways, I'll post some pics later today or tomorrow, It really is a great looking bike, especially for having been in nebraska for so long

Also, I think I kind of want to go back to stock exhaust at some point, since I think that the 4 into 4 mufflers look sexy. Will most years of factory exhausts fit on this, or is there a particular set of years that have common parts, or maybe like a series number? Additionally, will I have to rejet if I go back to original?

You will have to stick with exhaust for the dohc motor. Jetting depends on if it was rejetted for the exhaust that is on it now or if it was never rejetted. You will need to see what it has for jets and then ride it with the new exhaust and see if any changes will be needed. No one can say it needs this jet or that jet, every bike will react a little different to jetting you have to jet your bike to what it needs not what someone elses bike needs for jetting.

Hey Nick- I have a 1980 cb750K and I've got the dual, 2 into 1 (pipe on each side of the bike). I drilled out the baffles slightly and I am running open pods, took me a while to get the jets set though.....but it sounds mean as hell and has major torque! The burnout king!
-Neal

Back