• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1977 cb 750 hard tail

ksqrly

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I just purchased a 1977 hardtail from a guy down the street. He was moving and didnt have room to take it. He wanted 2k for it, but I talked him down to 1500. I thought it was a pretty good deal. The bike is no means a show bike, but I like the lines and the low stance. The bike runs pretty strong, the carbs were apparently just tuned and synced, but there are some apparent problems.

1) When stopped in gear the bike wants to pull forward, the amount of force going forward can easily be held by my feet, but it definitely wants to go forward. I tried to adjust the clutch cable, I tightened it a little and nothing a bit more and my transmission was slipping. Any thoughts? Im guessing its the clutch, but not sure how to go about fixing the problem.

2) The engine kinda ticks. I compared it to my buddies hondamatic 400 and his bike had the same noise. He said it had been doing it for years. Do these bikes make quite a bit of valve noise, or should I be worried?

Attachments

• Bob.jpg
    Bob.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 164
  • bob2.jpg
    bob2.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 172
Clutch basket might have notches getting worn in it causing the plates to hang up. Honda did have an issue on some but not all 750 clutches. The fix involves drilling more oil drain holes in the inner clutch hub. If you google you should be able to find it. I dont have it handy right now.

Yes the 750 do make some noise. Have you checked and adjusted the valves lately? They do need to be checked and adjusted periodically, they are not set it and forget it. The 400 is a different animal all together and has its own funny noises.

Thanks for the reply dirtdigger. I havent done any engine work on it yet, but there does seem to be an oil leak up front somewhere. Do you have to pull the engine to change the head gaskets? Im pretty sure this is the problem. Also, I think this bike was built by a company named kings custom cycles. Not 100% sure though. I have contacted the company, but havent got a reply yet.

Ok cool thanks for the info. One more thing. I noticed after riding for about an hour yesterday, when I stopped there was smoke coming from a small breather hose that is connected to the cylinder heads. It seems like its burning oil or something. Can you shed any light on this for me?

Blowby from the motor. If it is just slight amount then it is normal. it can also be condensation/moisture being evaporated out of the crankcase.

Thanks again for the speedy response. I think I am selling the bike unfortunately, because it has been an awesome little scoot. I bought it for 1500, which I think is a steal, and Im selling it for 2500, which I think is a fair price. Thanks for your help. If I dont sell it, ill be on here asking more questions.

Back