• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New Member from Ohio

tmccustoms

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself before I start posting. I have always liked the look of the CR750 and finally decided to pull the trigger on a CB750 that wasn't a restoration candidate. I have stopped by this site several times while making decisions on whats parts to buy and I figured I should stop creeping.

The bike title says it is a 72 but the tag on the neck says 71. It was locked up when I purchased it but a whole can of PB blaster and a lot of patience later, it turns freely. I am currently working out the bugs in the electrical to make sure everything is working before I tear it completely apart.

If I can figure out how to post an image, a picture of my sweet new ride will be below:

IMG_1881.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg

I am going to take the top end off and see how it is looking. I hope to just do a minor top end rebuild and repaint. No plans to do any engine modifications yet.

On engines that had been locked up I hate to see when people dont look in the bottom end. If the cyinders was locked, you know you got moisture in the bottom. After sitting long enough to rust up, think about the fact that you are forcing stuck by turning it over with dry engine bearings...easy to score up the soft bearing material as the oil has long since drained out. Just some things to think about.

X2. If water just condensed around pistons then the cylinder walls are often junk from the ring rust damage. It may run but not run right.

Good call, I will do my best to check it out. The bike was full of oil and once it started to turn, it turned pretty well. My fear is the walls like AMC noted. I plan to hone the cylinders if they are in good shape, otherwise new cylinders I guess. Right now I have no spark and there is a bit of barn yard wiring on it but not much.

Good call, I will do my best to check it out. The bike was full of oil and once it started to turn, it turned pretty well. My fear is the walls like AMC noted. I plan to hone the cylinders if they are in good shape, otherwise new cylinders I guess. Right now I have no spark and there is a bit of barn yard wiring on it but not much.

Order an endoscope. You can inspect the cylinders without disassembly. I paid $16.00 for mine. It's invaluable!

I was planning on putting on mag wheels but found another person on the web that build nearly the same CR750 I was thinking of building (black with gold mag wheels). I think I am going to put on spoke wheels. I am debating if I should make the stripes white, silver, or flat black.

The cylinders were stuck because where the pistons stopped the last time it was ran, there was an open exhaust valve (or two). The engine was full of oil that had no water in it that I could tell. Moist air would have made its way into the cylinder through the exhaust. I have no issue taking the top end off and I think it is necessary to complete a good engine paint job anyway. Good call on the endoscope. There has been a company emailing me at work trying to get me to try one of their borescopes so maybe I will just ask them to send me a trial one.

Anyone know who is selling alloy CR750 tanks these days? Everyone I email says they don't make them anymore of they want well over $1500 for them. I found an old thread here and no one on that thread still makes them. The person at Mead Speed said they still make them but their fabricator has fallen ill and may not make them anymore.

Pretty much not going to find that tank anywhere at below that price unless somebody does not know what it is, the ones made custom were about it and why the price which was whopping high even when they were available. And rare as hen's teeth even then.

The rings usually stop any condensation water from getting below them but pitting in the cylinder if deep enough will generally scrap the cylinder block unless the liners get pressed out to go way bigger than the normal overbores.

Anyone ever do business with a company called http://www.good-bits.co.uk/ They have a few items I would like to order but it seams like they only take wire transfers for a lot of it. They were very responsive via email and their website looks professional so I am inclined to believe they are legit but wanted to poll the community for feedback first. Thanks,

Back