• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Engine removal.

keges335

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
I am getting ready to pull engine from my 1981 Honda CB 750 K 4,.,I am going to have the frame Sand Blasted and was told to take wheels off etc,.,And then lay frame on its side and pull engine out,.,I have everything off except wheels and fork assm,.,I was going to jack engine up with my Motorcycle scissors jack and slide Motor out ,,.Any suggestions ,. ?

Thks Keith,.,

1981 Honda CB 750 K 4? A K4 is a 1974 CB750.

Either way it's not too hard, I would suggest draining the oil to make it lighter. Also take the oil filter off as it sticks out a bit.

I just that to my 81 cb750k, I used ratchet straps wrapped around the top frame tube. An other method I've used is laying the bike on it's side. There's probably a lot of youtube videos, use the method you are most comfortable with.

I had the engine out twice both times I wiggled it out from the right side as suggested in the manual. Perhaps I will try the lay down method at some point, but what about reinstallation? I try to use the removal process that helps me in the long run. The long through bolts only come out on one side, also the foot peg brackets can be a pain with the bolts going through them. With a stock suspension bike, if you get a car tire and an equally sized square piece of 1/2" ply wood, you can almost make a "shim" to transfer the engine out the frame onto. Position the tire and plywood flat on the right side of the motor and start to tuck it under the engine. Use a jack on the left side and move it around to the front as needed to shimmy the motor out the frame as you progressively slide it onto the tire/plywood. The mounting bolts for the headers will be a pain as the motor wants to lean forward and hit the frame so as it comes out to the right, keep clearing the header bolts from the frame and shimmy shimmy shimmy, 1/2" at a time. It eventually comes out and you now have a good idea how to reinstall it. I'm not bashing the lay down method, but does it also prepare you for reinstallation?

Granted I haven't done the laydown on my 81 cb750, I have on other bikes. I use a bunch of scrap wood to get then engine off the floor and level on it's side. As for the long bolt with the foot pegs, you don't have to mount the foot pegs right away. Often I just put a couple of the engine mount bolts in while it's on its side, and not even tight, just enough to hold in place. Then when I have everything upright, I button everything up.

Haven't had to, but suspect I'd let The 750 nap on its side. I'm a big fan of the removable frame section on the GL1000. Strap the engine to a couple doubled 2x4s screwed to a furniture dolly, unbolt the engine and frame section and wriggle it out. Since I did a full frame-off, the stripped frame was mounted to the engine, then built up around. They weigh a LOT more. A removable frame section would be nice on the 750.

My 82 CB750SC does have the removable frame section.
Hadn't looked for it on my '79 750F, but turns out it has removable section on the right side as I now believe most '79 - '82 CB750s have. If I had to pull mine, I'd strap it to my engine cart made of 2 doubled-up 2x4s screwed to a Harbor Freight furniture dolly (shimmed as necessary), unbolt the removable section, unbolt the engine, and roll it out. Reverse that for install, or do like I did on the GL1000. With the engine strapped to the dolly, my wife held one end of the bare frame and helped me maneuver it onto the engine. Then I replaced piece at a time until I could roll the dolly out.
1499ed45194d99b7a62a41765b6f984f.jpg

Back