• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Pulling to the right

Goldie

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Honda_unpainted.jpgHonda_painted.jpgHi,

I'm new to the forums, but I have been coming here for info as I have been repainting my bike. It is the first bike I have owned and tore down to the frame. I have it all back together now. After getting it running and going for a test drive I have noticed it pulling to the right. When you use the rear brakes, the rear end gets really wobbly and squirelly. I have checked the adjustment of the rear axle, the brake rotor, and the brakes.

I am curious if anyone else has had these problems before? Any suggestions or advice? Weather is getting nice and I am looking forward to riding.

Thanks,

Matt

Axle lose

I have a similar issue. My axle on the right side wont stay in place. pretty sure ive torqued the crown nut past recommended torque and it still slides around when braking and accelerating. anybody know of a fix for this? :banghead: :mad:

View attachment 2268View attachment 2269Hi,

I'm new to the forums, but I have been coming here for info as I have been repainting my bike. It is the first bike I have owned and tore down to the frame. I have it all back together now. After getting it running and going for a test drive I have noticed it pulling to the right. When you use the rear brakes, the rear end gets really wobbly and squirelly. I have checked the adjustment of the rear axle, the brake rotor, and the brakes.

I am curious if anyone else has had these problems before? Any suggestions or advice? Weather is getting nice and I am looking forward to riding.

Thanks,

Matt

first one, i would check all these things,,tire pressure,wheel/chain alignment, the swingarm bushing/bearings along with both wheel and front end bearings.
put it on the centerstand with rear wheel raised and see if the swingarm and wheel have any side to side play and if the chain and wheel are rolling straight. hold the swingarm and wiggle to see if it moves side to side spoked wheels,,wiggle some spokes to see if any are loose and check how easy the rear wheel spins. then with front wheel raised how smooth or how tight the front end flops and the wheel spins.

the second one are you certain all the axle spacers are there and in order correctly? also,,did you put a cotter key into the axle in front of the crown nut after the wheel is tightened?

Last edited:
not sure about the spacers yet, currently awaiting my manual ordered from amazon but yes i have a cotter pin in place although for some reason my axle seems to be too long for the cotter pin to reach the nut all the way so i am suspicious that i may be missing a spacer. however i know the nut isnt turning as i have bent the pin over on both ends to sit into the spaces and also have marked it to be sure.

Goldie definitely check the alignment because when mine is out it likes to wobble (when my hands are off the bars)

on 77/78 i know that the rear axle was just a bit longer than earlier years. what you were saying about the key not reaching the nut, try putting a thick washer behind the nut and see if the threads may be a bit short keeping it from snugging up to the swingarm.

I thought about that but was worried that adding a washer would make the slipping worse.
I'll try it and let you know. thnx

Simple tire wear on front can make them wobble at speed. Change for new and problem is gone, the magazine testers even ran into the issue.

Past that you guys got loose or crooked parts, there is simply no reason for them to wallow around like that. They are one of the steadiest high speed racers ever made.

Did you guys ever find a fix for this? I have the exact same problem. I can’t tighten the axle down enough. From looking at parts diagrams it appears everything is there. It looks like older models have a washer. Is there a washer on a 1980 because I don’t have one. That might be the fix. Thank you

Here are two pictures one for the comstar back wheel and one for the spoked type back wheel hope this helps đź‘Ť rampton

Last edited:
Hey thanks lot for posting. I do have the comstar wheel with both spacers 27 and 17. They look to ride in the correctly in the wheel but maybe I am missing a bearing or spacer internal to the wheel.

Back