• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

DOHC Cam chain tensioner removal

Happy chappy

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi, I wonder if anyone on the forum can help on this one.

The main cam chain tensioner for the crank to cam chain on my 1980 DOHC CB750 F has broken, reading the work shop manual it seems to say you can remove the tensioner without taking the head annd barrels off, can anyone help, how much of a strip down is it?

Factory honda manual shows removal only after cylinder is pulled. Try it with it together if it doesn't work then you are not out anything. Looks to me like at least the head will have to come off. If the tensioner is broke where did the parts go? May want to tear down and retrieve parts before starting to prevent any damage.

Thanks for the response, it looks like you have to take thew head off and the barrels off to get the tensioner out, i was hoping you could get it out with the engine in the frame and the cams removed, its just a bit more to strip out. The fibre blade has split so it doesn't tension the chain, hopefully its just split and there's nothing broken off.

Back