• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

My CB750 build and story thread.

pidaster

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been wanting to start a thread about my K6 but have been putting it off until somebody asked me about it. I don't have all of my pictures since my last computer died so I'll have to start when I'm into the project a bit.
Here's the story behind the bike.
When I was 18 somebody I knew had inherited an old clunker motorcycle. He wanted me to install a cd player in his car in exchange for the bike since he couldn't get it running and it was a mess. I loaded the bike up all covered in dirt and pigeon poop and was so excited I couldn't stand it. My first motorcycle, a '73 Honda CB350 twin. You thought it was the 750 didn't ya? I tore that bike apart and put it back together again and that bike is what caused my desire for old bikes and Honda's specifically. Sadly that bike was never finished. I moved away for a couple of years with my job and left it in my dad's storage shed. One of my brothers decided I wasn't coming back so he pushed it outside in the rain. When I returned I found a bike in worse shape than when it was covered in poo. The engine was now locked up. I parted the bike out and swore I'd never go through all that again. However, that bike is what caused me to learn about the CB750 with the big 4cyl motor! I wanted one every since then but had never seen one in person.

Fast forward about 10 years. I had gone through a few newer bikes and an '82 CB450 Nighthawk that I loved. An old man comes into my store to have some work done on his truck. In the process of talking he mentioned that he's ready to move and doesn't know if he would sell his stuff or take it with him. I told him jokingly that if he had any old motorcycles I'd buy them. He indeed had a 76 CB750K that he and his wife purchased off the show room floor. I went to his house and checked it out. It had been sitting since '86 and his son had done him the favor or taking it apart and leaving it stored away in two big boxes. The bare motor, tank, and wheels were about all that was left on the frame. Just for kicks I offered him $1 per cc. He thought it was fair and I brought it home.
The pictures will start after I had it running. I was doing this project on a budget, in my carport, while I was renovating my kitchen, dining room, and bathroom. I obviously like projects and try to do them all at once.
I started by rebuilding the carbs. These took about 24 hours of soak time just the get them stripped down. I spent 4-6 hours rebuilding each carb. After I got my points set, temporary battery connected, temp fuel tank, new oil, and she was up and running!
cb1_zpsfba9537e.jpg

Next I rebuilt the swingarm and did some of the upgrades to it, rebuilt the front forks, cleaned up any electrical problems, checked all the engine specs and adjusted the valves.
Got the wheels cleaned up and got her some new kicks.
cb5_zps5064e4c9.jpg

cb2_zps96388fc0.jpg

cb3_zpse7d899f9.jpg

cb4_zps6510c9fe.jpg

cb6_zpsaed76ba7.jpg

I'll skip through all the chrome clean up process, getting the rust out of the tank, new cables, gaskets, and all that great stuff.
Here is when I finally got it all back together in original configuration or close to it.
cb7_zps0c94f6a8.jpg

After I finished working on the house, I decided to go ahead and do my cafe conversion. I have never painted a vehicle but thought now would be a good time to practice. I still intend to paint the bike differently later but I had to get rid of the terrible repaint that was currently on it.
To keep the tank from rusting again, I lined it with POR15 tank liner. I must say I am impressed by the stuff and will continue to be a customer of theirs. I sanded the tank down and started the primer process. I must admit, I had to redo the primer several times until I got my technique down better. I got replacement side covers and filled in the badge recess on them and picked up a new seat from dime city cycles. I worked especially hard to redo the badges to my liking.
Here she is back together for the first time after paint.
cb8_zps0a40b7ed.jpg

cb11_zps9d788be0.jpg
cb12_zpsf9c5a5e6.jpg

cb9_zpsb117275a.jpg

cb10_zps8c3e515c.jpg

I've since done a few things to the bike. I've finally purchased another set of front turn signals just like the ones used in the back, removed and modified the Jardine exhaust baffles, and changed the tag mount.
tag1_zpsa3868070.jpg

I was riding this bike daily until my job changed. Now I have to drive a company vehicle around and I have less time. I haven't been able to ride since before Thanksgiving but I do keep check of her. I like to pull the cover off and look at it while I work on other vehicles at the house.
Future plans are after I build a shop, I will tear it down again and powder coat the frame, rebuild and paint the motor, rear sets, and a new paint scheme. I still keep in touch with the original owner and send him pictures of everything I do to it. If he doesn't hear from me he calls or emails to ask for new pictures. He also located and sent me all his paperwork from when he purchased it.

There's my story and probably the only bike I'll never sell.

I'm not sure yet. So many things I like that it will take a while to decide. I really like the dark gray on black look.

I also forgot to add that I put the Pamco ignition system in and it's been wonderful. The ignition system and the AGM battery have been the best two easy things I have done to the bike.

i cannot beleive you sanded that original paint 76 Antares Red tank. ugly tanks are a dime a dozen, that tank was probably worth $500. now its worth $50

i cannot beleive you sanded that original paint 76 Antares Red tank. ugly tanks are a dime a dozen, that tank was probably worth $500. now its worth $50
The tank was not Antares Red when I got it. It was a close maroon color. The original owner had already repainted it but taped off the decals. I'm no idiot.

well thats good, i see original paint bikes hacked every day, it sure is close to original color.

Cyclebuster, I thought the same thing from looking at the pictures quickly until I read the first post:

I still intend to paint the bike differently later but I had to get rid of the terrible repaint that was currently on it.

Sometimes the words are worth more than the pictures. I've learned to read carefully before making assumptions.

Pidaster, I have a Pamco for my CB750 as well. They have been around for quite a while for the XS650 and the guys love them. Simple and inexpensive. :thumbsup:

I missed it but apparently somebody was claiming they had to move back to Taiwan and she had to sell her husbands motorcycles. My 750 was in that lot.

If I click on the LINK above it still pulls up the C/L posting. Anyway, here's the text version. They had pidaster's bike, a really nice Kaw 900 and a Honda 90.

CL > louisville > all for sale / wanted > motorcycles/scooters - by owner
Reply 4wrxg-3628719593@sale.craigslist.org [?]

flag [?] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of
Posted: 2013-02-19, 1:20PM EST

motor bikes for sell (Lexington)

I have 3 motor bike my husband pass away leave me. one is honda cb750.. other is kawusaki 900 and honda 90. I go back to Philippines to live need to sell . can you mail me offer. I know these wood sell for 1500 USD in Philippines. thank you wil wait for mail • Location: Lexington
•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Posting ID: 3628719593

Posted: 2013-02-19, 1:20PM EST

email to a friend

Avoid scams, deal locally!Do NOT wire funds (Western Union, Moneygram). Beware cashier checks, money orders, shipping, non-local buyers/sellers. More info
Copyright © 2013 craigslist, inc.
terms of use
privacy
feedback

jackbeagle, your computer is just showing you the cached version of the site stored in your temporary files. If you refreshed the page it would be gone. But thanks for posting the text. Now I understand what the fuss was about.

That is a fantastic build my brother, You really show your passion thru that bike. I ma now re inspired to get my bike running... What a beauty....

Back