• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

CB900

GaryGruber

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I have been unable to find a reasonably priced 750 unfortunately, but have seen several nicely restored CB900's offered for reasonable prices. I know these bikes are far more complex mechanically than the good old 750, but might be willing to pick one up if I could get some info about how reliable they are and what weak points they have, if any.

I can wrench anything, but that doesn't mean I want to wrench anything, if you catch my drift. The one weakness I am aware of is that OEM fuel pumps are for all practical purposes non existent.

If anyone can shed some life on these monsters for me, I'd appreciate it.

Exactly the same as an early DOHC 750 except for engine size and the couple of details changed as a result. 85% of the parts are shared.

Dunno what fuel pump you are talking about, there is not one on the bike. Some people mix up the later CB919 Hornet with the CB900 calling it a CB900 too.

The biggest issue with any early Honda DOHC ('79-'83) is the valves burn because nobody ever sets them as the engines need shims to do it. The next biggest issue is the carbs are complicated enough they tend to clog and normal cleaning work may not fix that, people often having to clean them 3-4 times to get it right.

Back